The Glendalough Hotel are passionate about sustainability and committed to making a positive impact on the environment by implementing effective green practices and procedures throughout the hotel. We are privileged to be located in one of the most beautiful places on earth and we are committed to protecting that.
Natural Area Focus
The Glendalough Hotel sells packages/experiences to its guests that encourage interaction with the natural environment of the National Park through walking, birdwatching, hiking, and education.
We encourage our guests to leave the car behind and explore the area.
Interpretation and Education
The Glendalough Hotel can provide guests with literature and maps on the local area. We are always happy to give further information and make recommendations based on local knowledge.
The following are actions taken by us to support our positive environmental policies:
We are proud members of Repak which is a not-for-profit packaging recycling scheme funded by contributors from over 3,000 member companies nationwide.
General Hotel Actions for Sustainability:
• We have low energy led lights fitted.
• We have replaced equipment with water efficient alternatives, such as: low flush toilets, low flow taps etc
• We have implemented grey water alternatives, water from the mountain is used for all toilets.
• We support local community fundraising events and fundraising efforts for local charities.
• All heating, hot water, refrigeration, and electrical equipment is serviced and maintained annually.
Front of House Actions for sustainability:
• Our staff follow the ‘think before your print’ approach.
• Increased the awareness to our employees on ways to protect our environment.
• We send e-invoices were possible to reduce the amount of paper that we use and re-use paper at the front desk and offices.
• We support environmentally sustainable tourism by encouraging guests to walk while staying at the hotel. With walking maps available at reception.
• We have invested in a new more energy efficient boiler for the Hotel in 2023
• We have sourced in-room Toiletries that are made in Ireland and are in reusable containers which we refill
• Our guest directory is displayed on our TV System instead of a printed guide
Food and Beverage/ Kitchen Actions to support our Sustainable policies:
• Food waste monitored on a continual basis to minimize wastage.
• As much as possible of our food is sourced from local producers thereby reducing food miles.
• We have reduced our single-use plastics throughout our F&B operations.
Guests can play their part during their stay to support Glendalough Valley and our whole environment
• By turning off lights and the TV when leaving your room
• Try not to run water unnecessarily and Inform a member of staff if you notice any leaks
• Close windows while not in the room to avoid losing heat
• Leave no trace when exploring Glendalough Valley
• Use reusable cups when visiting the coffee outlets in the Valley
• Walk instead of driving when you can. The Hotel is steps from the visitor centre and the Monastic City. The Upper and Lower Lakes are a short (20 mins) walk from the hotel along a marked path and many other paths pass by the hotel. You can leave the car in our car park and explore the valley from our front door.